Your cloud, secure and advanced
Synology® Inc. today announced the official release of DiskStation Manager 5.2, the latest version of its award-winning NAS operating system. With new features and packages, DSM 5.2 delivers the most advanced and secure private cloud for individuals and businesses.
"DSM 5.2 empowers home and professional users with new tools and technologies to solve their everyday needs and improve productivity," said Derren Lu, CEO of Synology Inc. "We express our appreciation to the loyal users who participated in the DSM 5.2 Beta Program, helping to make this the best version yet."
DSM 5.2 delivers many new features, such as the following:
- Faster, more customizable cloud syncing with encryption: Synology's popular file syncing solution Cloud Station delivers a more beautiful and flexible experience, including the ability to customize the maximum number of file versions according to shared folder, a totally redesigned system tray menu, as well as optimized performance requiring less system resources. In addition, syncing files between a DiskStation and public cloud storage is easier than ever; Cloud Sync lets users select bidirectional or one-way sync for greater flexibility, encrypt data before uploading to a public cloud services, and choose from new providers, including Amazon S3, regional services (SFR, hicloud, Megafon Disk, Yandex Disk), or WebDAV cloud storage sites.
- AppArmor and SMB3 encryption strengthen security: With support for package profiles, AppArmor defends against potential security threats. Integration with SMB3 encryption allows DiskStation to secure file transfers to Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 or later, reducing the possibility of eavesdropping when data moves across a company's network.
- Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) support offers Link Aggregation and failover without a costly switch: To simplify the lives of power users and network admins, DSM 5.2 provides the following Link Aggregation modes: ALB, Active-standby, 802.3ad dynamic, and Balanced XOR. ALB allows users to achieve greater throughput and failover without purchasing a server-class switch.
- Manage work and life with the refined Note Station: The new Synology Web Clipper extension for Chrome allows users to quickly and easily save interesting web content to Note Station for later reference. Comprehensive task management features let users organize to-dos according to different notes, priority, and due dates. The import and export feature makes it easy to migrate all notes from one DiskStation to another.
- New possibilities with SSO Server and Docker packages: SSO Server transforms a DiskStation into a Single Sign-On server, helping to streamline the authentication process when logging into various DSM services. In addition, the software containerization solution Docker is available on select Synology NAS models, allowing for the deployment of more packages, such as Redmine, GitLab, and LXQT.
Many more features are available in DSM 5.2, such as single-file restoration, Smart Recycle options for backup archives, support for browsing and managing files stored in public clouds with File Station, and Chromecast support for DS photo. For details, please see the full software specs here: http://www.aceperipherals.com/2015/diskstation-manager-5-2-software-specs
Synology DSM 5.2 is free to download for users who own a DiskStation, RackStation or Embedded DataStation 10-series and onward. Supported models include:
- 15-series: RS815(RP)+, RS815, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS2015xs, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS1515, DS415+, DS415play, DS215j, DS115, DS115j
- 14-series: RS3614xs+, RS3614(RP)xs, RS2414(RP)+, RS814(RP)+, RS814, RS214, DS414, DS414j, DS414slim, DS214+, DS214, DS214play, DS214se, DS114, EDS14
- 13-series: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, DS413, DS413j, DS213+, DS213, DS213air, DS213j
- 12-series: RS3412(RP)xs, RS2212(RP)+, RS812(RP)+, RS812, RS212, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+, DS212+, DS212, DS212j, DS112+, DS112, DS112j
- 11-series: RS3411(RP)xs, RS2211(RP)+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
- 10-series: DS1010+, RS810+, RS810RP+, DS410, DS410j, DS710+, DS210+, DS210j, DS110+, DS110j
Please note DiskStation Manager 5.2 will be the last major DSM release for 10-series models, which were originally released five years ago or earlier.