Applied Models for DSM & Packages
- 13-series: DS213+, DS413, DS213, DS413j, DS213air, DS2413+, DS713+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+
- 12-series: DS712+, DS212, DS212+, DS212j, RS212, RS812, DS1512+, DS1812+, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS112j, DS112, DS412+, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS112+
- 11-series: RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
- 10-series: RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS410, DS410j, DS710+, DS210+, DS210j, DS110+, DS110j
- 9-series: RS409+, RS409RP+, RS409, DS509+, DS409+, DS409, DS209+II, DS209+, DS209, DS209j, DS109+, DS109, DS109j, DS409slim
- DSM 4.2 will be the last DSM upgrade for all x09-series DiskStations due to hardware capabilities.
Applied Models for Packages Only
- 8-series: RS408, RS408-RP, DS508, DS408, DS108j
Compatibility and Installation
- DSM 4.2 Beta can only be installed on Synology products running DSM 4.0 or later. Before starting, please log into DSM and go to DSM Update to install the latest available update.
- If you would like to install beta versions of packages, please go to Package Center in DSM 4.1, click Settings > Channel Update and select Beta channel so you’ll be able see beta packages in Package Center.
- The following packages must be updated to be compatible with DSM 4.2 Beta: VPN server, Mail Server, Mail Station, Video Station, Time Backup, Logitech Media Server
- Some features have special hardware requirements and are only available on select models.
What’s New in DSM 4.2 Beta
- LUN Snapshot & Clone
- LUN Snapshots -- This feature allows you to back up and restore multiple versions of LUNs on your DiskStation with minimal impact on performance.
- LUN clone -- Virtual copies of data can now be replicated, allowing you to create identical deployments in different environments or clone an existing LUN snapshot into a new LUN.
- Available on RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+ only.
- Storage Manager
- Global Hot Spare Disks -- Hard disks can now be designated as hot spare disks, which can repair degraded volumes/Disk Groups/iSCSI LUNs by automatically replacing a failed disk. This feature is only available on RS10613xs+, RX1211RP, RS3413xs+, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS1511+, DS1010+, DS713+, DS712+, DS710+, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS812, RS810+ and RS810RP+.
- S.M.A.R.T. Test Scheduler -- You can now perform S.M.A.R.T. tests according to your individual schedule. For example, S.M.A.R.T.tests can be scheduled to run monthly or automatically test all of the disks in your DiskStation.
- Volume Creation and Expansion Enhancements: The speed of volume creation and resizing have been improved up to 14 and 85 times. The chart below is the comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2. Only for RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+.
| ||DSM 4.1||DSM 4.2||Improvement|
(Create 1TB Volume on a Disk Group)
(Expand 1TB Volume to 2TB on a Disk Group)
- File Services for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux
- SMB2 protocol support for Windows File Service -- SMB 2 protocol has general improvements to allow for better network utilization. This feature is not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- Large MTU Support for SMB2. The Large MTU (maximum transmission unit) option allows users to utilize the network capabilities better and achieve faster transferring speed. You can enable this option through a registry key on Windows computers. This feature is not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- AFP (Apple File Protocol) performance enhancements -- The speed of file transfers to the DiskStation has improved up to 52%. The following is a comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2.
| ||DSM 4.1||DSM 4.2||Improvement|
- Network Backup, rsync, and Shared Folder sync -- The performance of these feature has been generally improved when transferring large numbers of folders and files. The following is a comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2.
| ||DSM 4.1||DSM 4.2||Improvement|
|Backup 5000x 1MB files in 1110 folders from DS213+ to DS212
- File Station
- Single Page of Files -- You can now browse up to 1000 files on one single page.
- Thumbnail View -- Files and pictures can be displayed as large icons or thumbnails of pictures, if available.
- Hotkeys -- The following keyboard shortcuts have been added in order to simplify file management: Select All (Ctrl + A), Cut (Ctrl + X) , Copy (Ctrl + C), Paste (Ctrl + V), Delete (Delete), Rename (F2).
- TFTP & PXE
- TFTP & PXE -- You can now set up your DiskStation as a TFTP server, allowing clients to retrieve system boot images via TFTP and implement Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE). PXE settings are not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- Package Center
- New Design for App Discovery -- You can now browse packages by categories or search for specific packages. Screenshots are included to give you a preview of the app before installing them.
- Transaction platform -- Paid and trial versions of packages are available in the new Package Center. Please note, you will need a MyDS Center account in order to purchase paid apps.
- 2-step Verification & Account Activity
- 2-step Verification -- This feature adds an extra layer of security to your DSM account. Once 2-step verification is enabled, anyone trying to access your account will need a one-time 6-digit code displayed on your smartphone, in addition to your DSM password.
- Account Activity -- This feature lets you view your current login session and login history.
- Firewall & Security
- Denial of Service (DoS) Protection -- This option allows you to filter out malicious traffic without interrupting safe traffic. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- Customized Block & Allow IP List for Auto Block -- You can now manually add IP addresses to your Block and Allow lists to protect your network.
- LDAP/AD Accounts
- More Apps for Enterprise Users -- Enterprise users can now enjoy more features of DSM with LDAP or AD accounts. Supported packages includes Cloud Station, Audio Station, Video Station, Mail Server, and Mail Station. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- Task Scheduler
- Automate Tasks -- Task Scheduler allows you to schedule and run tasks at pre-defined times. Tasks include running user-defined scripts, cleaning the Recycle Bin on a regular basis, and starting and stopping services, among others.
- Disk Usage Report
- Easily Monitor Storage Usage -- The disk usage report feature displays the following information: the outstanding storage usage of users, the status of volume usage, trends based on past usage, the percentage of disk space that each file type occupies, the size of shared folders, and the largest, most, least frequently modified files.
- Schedule Report -- You can schedule periodic reports or perform analyses immediately.
- Bluetooth Support
- Stream music with Bluetooth -- You can to connect multiple USB Bluetooth adapters to your DiskStation and connect to A2DP Bluetooth devices, such as speakers or headphones in order to easily stream music stored on your DiskStation. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- Support for Multiple DDNS Hosts -- More than one DDNS provider can now be set up and saved at the same time.
- More Mobile Support -- QuickConnect now supports more mobile apps, including DS photo+, DS audio, and DS cloud.
- Power, Devices and Printers
- Network UPS Support -- DiskStation now supports connecting to SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) UPS devices or network management cards, allowing your DiskStation to enter safe mode based on the status of your network UPS.
- Network Printer Support -- DSM now supports LPR, IPP, Socket, and BJNP network printers and can share them over the network via AirPrint, Cloud Print, LPR, CIFS, IPP protocols. Windows users can set up network printers shared by DiskStation with the beta version of Synology Assistant.
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Enhancements
- WPA2 Enterprise -- Users can be authenticated by an external RADIUS server when connecting to the wireless hotspot of your DS213air.
- Wi-Fi Scheduled On/Off -- Save energy by setting a schedule to automatically turn the wireless hotspot on and off.
- Guest Network -- You can prohibit guests from accessing the local network, seeing other devices, or visiting websites with ports other than default ones, so that the security of your network is never compromised.
- These features are available on DS213air only
- The desktop version of DSM on touch-enabled devices has been enhanced to support more touch events for Safari on iPhone, iPad and Chrome on Android devices.
- Application windows can be auto-maximized and auto-centered.
- Users can use 3-finger gestures to switch between applications.
- Users can long-press on items to right-click.
- Supports double tapping items.
- Apache has been upgraded to 2.2.23.
- PHP has been upgraded to 5.3.18.
- Perl is now a standalone package.
What’s New for Packages
- Cloud Station
- Unlimited shared folders can now be synchronized to different Cloud Station users on Windows PC or Mac clients.
- Unlimited number of user accounts can be enabled.
- The maximum file size for synchronization has been increased to 10 GB.
- LDAP and domain accounts can now be used.
- Resuming file transfers is supported.
- The Cloud Station PC/Mac client will be updated to the latest version automatically in the background.
- Maximum number of files which can be transferred at one time is as follows:
||RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS3612xs, DS3611xs, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, RS3412(RP)xs, RS3411(RP)xs
||DS2413+, DS2411+, RS2212(RP)+, RS2211(RP)+, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS1511+, DS1010+, DS713+, DS712+, DS710+ ,DS412+, DS411+II, DS411+, RS812(RP)+, RS810(RP)+
||DS509+, DS413, DS411, DS410, DS409+, DS213+, DS212+, DS211+, DS210+, DS209+II, DS209+, DS110+, DS109+, RS409(RP)+
||DS508, DS411slim, DS409, DS409slim, DS408, DS213, DS213air, DS212, DS211, DS209, DS112, DS111, DS109, RS812, RS411, RS409, RS408(RP), RS212
||DS413j, DS411j, DS410j, DS212j, DS211j, DS210j, DS112j, DS110j
- DNS Server
- DNS Server allows your DiskStation to become a domain name server, host multiple zones, as well as provide name and IP address resolution services.
- Split-horizon feature allow you to provide services for different groups by creating multiple views.
- Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
- RADIUS Server
- Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) is a networking protocol that provides centralized authentication, authorization, and accounting for wireless network access.
- Both Active Directory and LDAP server can be the source for Synology RADIUS Server.
- If your wireless router supports using a RADIUS server for authentication, you can install RADIUS Server and use DiskStation local system accounts to access your wireless network.
- Glacier Backup
- Glacier Backup package allows you to back up/archive DiskStation data onto Amazon Glacier data storage service at extremely low costs and provides a contingency plan to avoid data loss.
- Not available on DS209j and DS109j.
- Antivirus by McAfee
- Antivirus by McAfee is a complete antivirus application which safeguards your DiskStation. It checks for updates automatically and lets you schedule virus scans when your DiskStation is not being used in order to consume less system resources.
- It is available on the following models: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+. Requires DSM 4.2.
- Photo Station
- Added the ability to drag-and-drop photos and videos into the browser when uploading files from the local computer.
- Improved search feature to search for files by tags.
- Added the feature to create smart albums to filter files by specific search criteria.
- Supports people tags from the Windows Live Photo Gallery.
- Enhanced social network integration with Qzone and Sina Weibo.
- Audio Station
- Enhanced design to provide a cleaner, bigger, and more beautiful user interface.
- Enhanced the mini player function to provide three display modes including minimum, playlist, and lyrics.
- Supports streaming music from Audio Station over Bluetooth to A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) devices, such as speakers or headphones. (DSM 4.2 required and not available on DS109j and DS209j)
- Supports lyric plugins to search for lyrics on the Internet.
- Video Station
- Enhanced DTV functionality to support multiple DTV tuners, such as HD HomeRun, so that multiple channels can be watched and recorded simultaneously.
- Added language preference selection when searching for video information on the Internet.
- You can now create custom collections, watchlists, and favorites.
- Added the feature to resume watching movies from the point you left off and list recently watched movies.
- Video transcoding is now supported so you can adjust the playback quality of files based on your network environment and stream video more smoothly. Windows and Mac users can now play more video formats with Flash plugin (with specific hardware requirements).
- Supports streaming videos to Apple TV (Requires DSM 4.2).
- Supports displaying embedded subtitles in MKV files when streaming videos to your local computer.
- Added a folder view to display folder structure as it is and browse more easily.
- Supports Microsoft Smooth Streaming for DS video on Windows phone.
- Media Server
- Integrated the video information retrieved by Video Station into DMA menus.
- Supports video transcoding so that more video formats can be played on XBOX 360 and other DMAs (only for RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+).
- Download Station
- Supports downloading videos from YouTube playlists.
- Enhanced auto-extract functionality to detect all archived files in a folder and extract all files with supported extensions.
- Enhanced functionality to support downloading Thunder, Flashget, and QQDL tasks.
- Java Manager & Tomcat
- Java Manager helps you to install JDK and JRE on your DiskStation to run business applications.
- Tomcat is an open source software implementation of the Java Servlet and JavaServer Pages (JSP) technologies. It is a web server not limited to serving up static web pages, but can also generate dynamic results in response to user requests by executing Java servlets and rendering web pages.
- Java Manager and Tomcat are available on the models: RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+.
- High Availability
- High Availability is a solution which uses two servers to form a high-availability cluster in order to reduce interruptions of services caused by server malfunctions (DSM 4.2 required).
- Now supported on DS3612xs, RS3412(RP)xs, DS2413+, RS2212(RP)+, RS812(RP)+, DS1812+, DS1512+ ,DS713+ and DS412+.
- DHCP Server
- Upgraded to support the PXE feature in DSM 4.2.
- Mail Station & Mail Server
- Upgraded to support DSM 4.2 and LDAP/domain accounts.
- Time Backup
- Added the backup cache volume feature to execute data copying processes to a specific volume and enhanced the performance for network backup tasks.
- Added encryption and compression options to customize data transmission methods.
What’s New for Desktop Utilities
- Cloud Station
- Cloud Station for Windows and Mac clients has been upgraded to be compatible with the newest version of DSM Cloud Station.
- Added auto update to seamlessly upgrade the program in the background.
- Synology Assistant
- Users can now set up network printers connected to DiskStation on a Windows PC.
- Photo Station Uploader
- Photo Station Uploader is a Windows app for bulk uploading photos and videos to Photo Station. It creates thumbnails and converts videos to playable and high quality formats using the processing power of your computer instead of consuming the system resources of your DiskStation.
- Integrated with the context menu in Windows File Explorer so that you can upload photos by right-clicking.
What’s New in Mobile Apps(Coming Soon)
- DS video for Android and Windows Phone
- DS video allows you to stream your Video Station library on your DiskStation to your mobile device. It also sorts your video contents by movies, TV shows, Home videos as well as recorded programs to make browsing your library all the more convenient.
- DS cloud for iOS and Android
- DS cloud is counterpart to Cloud Station and allows you to choose the folders on your DiskStation which you want to sync to your mobile device and make available offline. DS cloud also gives you more control over the sync criteria, allowing you to set the maximum file size and file formats that you wish to sync.
- DS photo+ for iOS
- Photos and videos on your iPhone/iPad can be automatically uploaded to your Photo Station using instant upload.
- Offline viewing now allows you to download albums to the iPhone/iPad to view them even when no network connection is available.
- DS download for Android phone and tablets
- DS download allows you to access Download Station remotely from your iPhone and Android devices: you can view your download task list and the information about an individual task, as well as pause, resume or delete tasks.
Hardware Compatibility Notes
Synology has validated the compatibility of the hardware devices on DiskStation.
- Network UPS Managements Cards:
- APC Smart-UPS RT 3000 XL
- Eaton WEBPOWER card
- PowerCOM WAR-1000AP
- ECO SMART FT-1000B
- DVB-sticks: In addition to the DVB-T sticks already supported in DSM 4.1 (see here), the following sticks are supported in DSM 4.2 Beta:
- AVerMedia - Aver TV VolarBlack HD A850 DVB-T
- Terratec CINERGY TStick RC - Rev3
- MSI Digi Vox Ultimate Pro
- HD HomeRun (DVB-T)
- AirPlay Devices
- Apple TV 3
- Apple TV 2
- AirPort Express 802.11n
- USB Bluetooth Adapters
- BELKIN Bluetooth Adapter
- MEDIALINK Bluetooth Version 4.0 Class 2 USB Adapter MUA-BA3
- Kensington Bluetooth USB Adapter 2.0
- IOGEAR Bluetooth 2.1 USB Micro Adapter
- ASUS USB-BT211 Mini Bluetooth Dongle
- PCI BT-MicroEDR2
- WellWhole WED-210V4
- TWHIQ BT333S
- aibo Bluetooth V4.0 Mini Bluetooth Dongle
- Network Printers
- Canon PIXMA MX510
- Canon PIXMA MX897
- Canon PIXMA MG6270
- Canon PIXMA MG3170
- Canon PIXMA MG4100
- Canon PIXMA MG5370
- Cloud Station
- If any syncing event is triggered by a client when the maximum current connection is fully occupied, the Cloud Station client will be disconnected. The connection will be re-connected automatically when there is one or more available connections.